Sunday, February 22, 2015

'The Woes of Emong Payaso' (2006) by haLf man haLf eLf

.
I was the lead of vocalist of the Filipino Alternative Rock band Half Life Half Death (1988-2003; 2012), which was able to release one full album, Pymyth Prahn (1995, Viva Records). Some of our songs that enjoyed respectable radio airplay on a number of FM radio stations in the 1990s included "Alimango," "Kapit-Tuko," "Butterflies," and our original arrangement of the Filipino traditional Pop ballad "High School (Life)" (sung by Sharon Cuneta, written by George Canseco).


Half Life Half Death, in 1994

We disbanded for good in 2003 when I immigrated to Canada.

After a few years in Canada, I met some fellow musicians who inspired and helped me pursue again making and playing music. With the help especially of a new friend, I was able to make my first musical project in Canada.

The Making of and the Components of The Woes of Emong Payaso
My first musical project in Canada was the EP entitled The Woes of Emong Payaso. I released it under the name haLf man haLf eLf, in collaboration with a multi-instrumentalist friend, Abelardo Sarao. We recorded the project using his recording equipment in his home basement. Instruments that we used were guitars, bass, synthesizer, keyboards, and drum machine. We rendered the string, horn sections, and other sounds and effects using a synthesizer.

I practically composed most of the melodies and came up with the conceptual and the instrumental structure of the song. I did the vocal and keyboard tracks, while Sarao did the rest. I made the cover design. Additionally, in keeping with the female/child vocal bit part style that I used in many of the songs of Half Life Half Death, I also invited a female friend (Karen Capuno) to render the female vocals and the son of a former schoolmate friend (Grace Abratique-Jiao) to provide the kid's voice. Capuno was also living in Canada, whereas Abratique in the U.S. so we exchanged files via email.

I also used a vocal melody line from the Filipino song "Sana" (originally written and sung by Florante de Leon; popularised by a version by Kristina Paner); as well as a melody from "Send In the Clowns" (written by Stephen Sondheim for the 1973 musical A Little Night Music).

The EP is comprised by one long 14-minute song, conceptually divided into 4 parts. The main song, segment #3, was actually a reworking of an old song ("Buhay-Karnabal") that I wrote in 1999 when I was still a member of an obscure Filipino band named Dream Kitchen.


The Woes of Emong Payaso
by haLf man haLf eLf 
(eLf ideas / Kalabasa Records, 2006)

1. Mahiwagang sapatos ni Emong Payaso
2. Parang karnabal--ganyan ang buhay ng tao
3. Tuluy-tuloy ang palabas sa entablado
4. Sa likod ng bawat tagumpay ay kalbaryo 



This is especially interesting for music enthusiasts whose favorite genres are New Wave, Classical, and Progressive Rock and who have patience in listening to music with focus on instrumentation.

Get a digital copy of the EP for free.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the copy of this EP, Elf. I will treasure this just like your Album. Sayang nabaha na ung Tape ko nung Pymyth Prahn. More power, songs and album

    ReplyDelete