Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Melt with Them Over and Over Again (part 7 / conclusion)

(conclusion of a definitive review of Modern English's full studio discography)
by aLfie vera mella

In between low-key concerts in the United States, Modern English (this time comprised by Robbie Grey on vocals, Steven Walker on guitars, Matthew Shipley on keyboards, Nik Williams on bass, and Jon Solomon on drums) started recording new songs in 2001 for a new album; but because of difficulty in securing a record label, the band was able to release the album, entitled Soundtrack, almost a decade afterwards.

Soundtrack (2010)

“There’s such a lot of tension
It’s almost everywhere
A sharp increase in volume
It fills the air”


The sound of Soundtrack is somewhat similar with that of Stop Start—edgier kind of Rock, guitar-oriented, steady bass lines, simple song structures, with minimal use of the keyboards. Overall, the music has the sensibilities of ’90s Alternative Rock. I could hear traces of Gin Blossoms, The Lemonheads, The Replacements / Paul Westerberg, and Toad the Wet Sprocket in some of the songs and also echoes of Ned’s Atomic Dustbin. I don’t mind the simplicity; but because I know that Modern English could be really creative and intricate—best exhibited in 1984’s Ricochet Days—I am still yearning for yet another New Romantic-rooted album of new materials. I hope this is not only wishful thinking.

Recommended tracks are “It’s OK,” “Here Comes the Failure,” and “Up Here in the Brain.”

According to the band’s website, as of early 2013, a new album was in the works. During their 2012 U.S. tour, the band previewed one song, entitled “Moonbeam.” If the sound of this song is to be taken as a cue for the rest of the album, then the sound of Modern English is definitely back to its dark Postpunk beginnings. Meaning, I have to wait for two more albums before I may get something that would sound like my favorite Modern English album.


If the sound of this new song, "Moonbeam," is to be taken as a cue for the rest of the forthcoming eighth album, then the sound of Modern English is back to its Postpunk beginnings.

The Current
Modern English is currently comprised by the reunited original members Robbie Grey (vocals), Gary McDowell (guitar, vocals), Michael Conroy (bass, vocals), and Stephen Walker (keyboards) with additional musicians Steven Walker (guitar) and Ric Chandler (drums). The reinvigorated group performed in the Philippines with another classic Postpunk band, The Alarm, on May 3, 2013, at SM Mall of Asia Arena. That was the reason I visited my home country that year.


Some of my CDs and vinyl records by Modern English and The Alarm

Postscript
I went to the Philippines in April 2013 (and stayed there for three weeks) primarily to watch the back-to-back concert of Modern English and The Alarm. Because of this article that I wrote originally for my blogspot, the members of the band took notice of me; and the producer of the concert, having used the article for the promotion, invited me to the press conference of the band that was held at Jill’s Restaurant & Bar in Taguig City.

Outside Jill’s Bar: I, Modern English’s bass player Mick Conroy, vocalist Robbie Grey, guitarist Gary McDowell, my friend Rudolph  Paz, keyboardist Stephen Walker, and another friend, Frankie Cortes

At the press conference, my luck doubled—McDowell invited me onstage to perform with him an acoustic rendition of their song “Hands across the Sea,” which I pulled off easily because I knew the song by heart. A TV crew from the local station ABS-CBN was covering the event so the performance was captured on video. When the news feature on Modern English appeared the following day on the program TV Patrol, a video clip of the performance was included.


At the press conference of Modern English for their 2013 concert in the Philippines, held at Jill's Bar & Restaurant, I had the privilege to sing "Hands across the Sea" with guitarist Gary McDowell himself.

Another luck I got was McDowell’s putting me on the band’s guest list. Finally, a friend of mine, Boyet Garcia, owner of a New Wave bar, invited me to join him and some other friends at the dinner he hosted for Modern English.   

The 2013 Philippine Concert
The concert itself was a blast, in the perspective of a longtime New Wave enthusiast. The playlist included "I Melt with You," "Hands across the Sea," "Someone's Calling," and "Ink and Paper." The reaction of much of the audience was very positive, dancing and singing along to many of the bands’ songs. Without a doubt, the hearts of many of the fans inside the venue melted when they finally witnessed a live performance of one of the bands that defined their youthful summer days.

Final Note
The bass player of Modern English, Mick Conroy confirmed to me via a message that the band is currently finishing their new album, which was being mixed by a longtime friend of theirs, Martyn Young of the band Colourbox and M|A|R|R|S.


finis

No comments:

Post a Comment