Friday, March 27, 2015

Writing Album Reviews

.
Writing album reviews excite me very much. It obliges me to listen to music--whether new or old--in a very objective manner and in a more focused and multidimensional approach.

I began writing professionally as early as in my highschool days, in the mid-'80s, that if we would consider writing for the school paper professional writing. After all, there was a chief editor who ensured we followed grammatical standards, so I supposed that it counted. My passion for writing, which really started when I was six years old--by way of listing things that amused and interested me in that little journal that my father gave me--became a lifelong preoccupation--both professionally and as a hobby.

In my university days, I contributed articles and poetry for school papers as well as for national publications and music magazines. When I was already working, I also had the chance to start and write for the corporate newsletter of the company where I worked. I also made newsletters of my own that I distributed to friends and acquaintances, almost similar to fanzines, only that the contents were more professionally written, grammatically speaking.


However, my life as a proper, professional writer really began when I got hired at Diwa Scholastic Press in 2000. I handled academic textbooks and magazines on Science & Technology and English Grammar & Literature specifically.

Here in Canada, where I have been living since 2003, my writing flare simply continued. I have been maintaining a number of columns in the local community newspaper Filipino Journal since 2006. I have also been able to maintain my blogspots for my other more personal writings and other literary interests. But these are just hobbies of mine, for my fulltime work is really as a nursing aide at a hospital or health center.

Writing simply makes my day exciting and worth living. Through this, I am able to express the countless ideas floating in my restless head every day.

Now, back to writing music reviews...

Recently, I've embarked again on writing music reviews professionally. So far, I've written six articles for the websites Jazz Corner and All about Jazz and three articles for CrypticRock.

Michael Sarian - Subtitles (2014)
Sehrang - Dar Lahze (2014)

J.Q. Whitcomb & Five Below - Tales of Enchantment (2014)
Apostle Fractal - The Ichabod Suite (2012)
Rija - Silent Heart (2013)
Ross Prior - Heavy Sheddin' (2014)

Simple Minds - Big Music (2014)
Morrissey - World Peace Is None of Your Business (2014)
Midge Ure - Fragile (2014)

No comments:

Post a Comment