Sunday, March 8, 2015

The Ultimate New Wave Experience (vol. 4)

.
Here's volume 4 of the series of compilation of songs classifiable as New Wave that I started. Choosing the songs to be included in each volume is both challenging and engaging. Foremost, I ensure that the style of music flows smoothly from song to song, to further illustrate that the genre of music that has long become New Wave really has identifiable characteristics.

As usual, I picked three songs for each decade except the '80s, which has six.



01 Nick Lowe - (I Love the Sound Of) Breaking Glass (1978)
02 The Knack - Oh Tara (1979)
03 The Slits - Typical Girls (1979)
04 B-Movie - Switch On Switch Off (1985)
05 Cyndi Lauper - The Goonies 'R' Good Enough (1985)
06 Indochine - A l'Assaut (Des Ombres Sur l'O) (1985)
07 Eyeless in Gaza - Welcome Now (1986)
08 10,000 Maniacs - Like the Weather (1987)
09 The Sugarcubes - Motorcrash (1988)
10 9 Ways to Sunday - Restless (1990)
11 The Sundays - Hideous Towns (1990)
12 Shelleyan Orphan - Burst (1992)
13 Camera Obscura - I Don't Do Crowds (2001)
14 Trashcan Sinatras - It's a Miracle (2004)
15 The Magic Numbers - Forever Lost (2005)
16 Two Door Cinema Club - Something Good Can Work (2010)
17 The Cranberries - Tomorrow (2012)
18 Morrissey - Staircase at the University (2014)

Notes:
The Knack is not only about "My Sharona." It's about time to revisit the band's music. "Oh Tara" is actually a far more romantic fast ballad.


Cyndi Lauper may have been associated more with Pop music, but much of her early outputs were obviously oozing with New Wave sensibilities. 

Compare the introductory interlude of B-Movie's "Switch On Switch Off" with that of Cyndi Lauper's "The Goonies 'R' Good Enough."

The Philippine FM radio station WXB102 used to play Indochine's "A l'Assaut" and Eyeless in Gaza's "Welcome Now" back-to-back. Every time I play them now, I get suck back to 1986.

I got to discover 10,000 Maniacs and The Sugarcubes already in the late '80s, via another Philippine FM radio station, NU107.

Many people automatically think of "Here's Where the Story Ends" when asked about The Sundays. This is the reason I picked a different song for this compilation.

If the music of The Sundays may be regarded as New Wave, then why couldn't the music of Shelleyan Orphan, Camera Obscura, and The Cranberries?

Many fans have long forgotten The Cranberries. To them, the band is only "Dreams," "Linger," and "Zombie." To me, I do my homework--I keep myself updated. If you've been doing your homework too, then you shouldn't miss "Tomorrow."

Personally, Morrissey's latest album is the best, lyrically it's still Morrissey being Morrissey; but musically, the songs are more well-structured and the instrumentation is more intricate. 

GET them here and listen to the songs yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment