Friday, January 16, 2015

"Dreaming of Me" by Depeche Mode

(Personal Stories behind Favorite Songs)

by aLfie vera mella
.
While finishing my articles for my columns in the latest issue of Filipino Journal, playing loudly on the entertainment system was the first album of Depeche Mode--Speak & Spell (1981). Surely it would be hard for many music enthusiasts to realize that this album is 33 years old!
The first time I listened to Speak & Spell in full was in the summer of 1985, when I was 14.
My favorite song in this album remains to be "Dreaming of Me," which never fails to remind me of the countless mobile-powered New Wave parties that I attended in the mid-'80s. I just close my eyes while the song is playing and I could immediately see Joan, Iris, Daffy, Meg, Beng, Jim, and Buddy on the dancefloor.

Although, of course, "New Life," "What's Your Name?", and "Just Can't Get Enough" are equally important songs off the album, and all had the power to move the hands and feet of many partygoers in my New Wave party heyday in the mid-'80s.

"Dreaming of Me" starts with a short slow, haunting moog-sounding melody, followed by a catchy staccato-ish keyboard line that blends well into Dave Gahan's distinctive baritone voice. The spinning of the vinyl record is vivid in my mind.



No comments:

Post a Comment